Assoc. Prof. Marcin Wiechec MD, PhD
- Academician at the Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, Jagiellonian University Medical College;
- awarded Assoc. Professor degree in Medicine (since 2017) on the basis of a collection of publications concerning: “An analysis of screening performance for trisomy 21, trisomy 18, and monosomy X in a fetus using the late first trimester ultrasound without the use of serum biomarkers”.
- a specialist in Obstetrics & Gynecology, Certified Sonologist,
- expert in the area of fetal congenital defects and ultrasound-guided invasive procedures in the Department of Obstetrics and Perinatology of the University Hospital in Kraków.
- altogether, 78 publications, including: author/co-author of 6 chapters in textbooks, a co-owner of 3 Educational Patents (3D models of the normal and abnormal fetal heart, a hysteroscopic simulator for training) 22 original papers; 8 review articles; 6 case studies. Impact Factor =37.4; No. of citations without autocitations: 96; Hirsch Index: 5.
- Publication details: Jagiellonian University , PubMed ;
- awarded for PhD thesis by the Board of Medical Faculty, Jagiellonian University in Krakow: “Role of ultrasound in detection of functional and structural cardiovascular anomalies and congenital heart defects at the time of late first trimester of pregnancy.”
- graduated from the Faculty of Medicine of the Jagiellonian University in 1998
- acquired II degree specialty in obstetrics and gynecology in 2007
- holds certificates of competence in:
- Medical Ultrasound in the area of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Prenatal Diagnostics issued by the Polish Ultrasound Society;
- First Trimester Screening Scan between 11-13+6 weeks – for estimating the risk of chromosomal aberrations, preeclapsia and intrauterine growth restriction, Fetal Medicine Foundation (completed following parameteres: nuchal translucency, nasal bone, tricuspid flow, ductus venosus, fronto-maxillary facial angle, uterine arteries flow velocimetry);
- Invasive Procedures issued by the Fetal Medicine Foundation (one out of ten certificates in Poland);
- Fetal Doppler ultrasound issued by the Fetal Medicine Foundation;
- Cervical assessment issued by the Fetal Medicine Foundation;
- First Trimester. ISUOG Educational Course;
- The International Ovarian Tumor Analysis (IOTA) Group Certificate for pelvic masses.
- worked as a Specialist Registrar at the Centre of Fetal Care, Imperial College Healthcare, Queen Charlotte’s and Chelsea Hospital, London, United Kingdom (2008-2009);
- served internships in ultrasound diagnostics in:
- Harris Birthright Research Centre for Fetal Medicine, London, United Kingdom (2009);
- Yale University: Fetal Maternal Medicine Department, New Haven, USA (2006);
- Tennessee Woman’s Care Ultrasound Office, Nashville, USA (2006);
- Center for Fetal Cardiology, Perinatology and Perinatal Cardiology Clinic, 2nd Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Medical University of Warsaw (2004)
- participated in two research projects as a co-investigator;
- completed 3 basic and 17 advanced obstetric-gynecological courses in Poland and abroad, in Czech Republic, United States, United Kingdom and Italy, among others;
- teaching experience:
- Expert in Fetal Medicine at an annual seminar organized by the Imperial College, London, United Kingdom (2015, 2016)
- a lecturer within European Cross-border Grant Programme: Timisoara (Romania)-Vrsac (Serbia) “PRENATAL DIAGNOSIS NETWORK”, MIS-ETC code 1347;
- a lecturer at specialization courses on ultrasound in gynecologic oncology within Human Capital, National Cohesion Strategy, Project co-financed by the European Union under the European Social Fund, Centre of Postgraduate Medical Education in Warsaw, Postgraduate Medical Training Center of the Jagiellonian University in Krakow;
- since 2011 a co-founder of MWU- Ultrasound Workshops;
- since 2010: a Director of courses on 3D ultrasound in obstetrics and gynecology and Board Member at Roztoczańska School of Ultrasound;
- 2009-2014 Ian Donald School of Ultrasound – lectures in Romania and Turkey
- 2008-2014 Vienna International School of Three-Dimensional Ultrasound as well as International Academy of Medical Ultrasound – lectures and practical classes in Austria, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, United Arab Emirates, Greece, Spain, Qatar, Kuwait, Macedonia, Nigeria, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, the United States, Sweden, Turkey, Hungary, the United Kingdom;
- 2004-2007, 2009-until now: Postgraduate Medical Training Center of the Jagiellonian University – lectures and individual courses concerning ultrasound to physicians completing medical specialty in obstetrics and gynecology, since 2011 lectures concerning ultrasound in obstetrics and gynecology to physicians completing medical specialty in radiology;
- other achievements:
- A two-DVDs educational recording: Wiechec M. „Introduction to the effective diagnostic application of clinical features on the Voluson Signature Series” 2011 Volusonclub, General Electric Company, Zipf, Austria;
- A whitepaper: A.Nocuń, M.Wiecheć „Application of transabdominal STIC color in the first trimester” Volusonclub White Paper Collection 2010, General Electric Company, Solingen, Germany: 51-57.
- an author of educational ultrasound posters together with Holbex company, which were distributed free-of-charge to local OB/GYN specialists – an edition of 1,500 copies concerning:
- an early fetal anomaly screening (11+0-13+6) – (2013);
- second trimester fetal anomaly scan (2014);
- beta-tester of ultrasound scanners since 2011.
Membership in Chambers for Physicians and Medical Societies:
- member of the Regional Medical Chamber in Kraków;
- International Faculty Member of the International Society of Ultrasound in Obstetrics and Gynecology (ISUOG);
- an honorary member of two associations: Romanian Association of Perinatal Medicine (ARMP); Romanian Society for Ultrasound in Obstetrics and Gynecology (SRUOG);
- Section of Ultrasound board member of the Polish Society of Gynecologists and Obstetricians,
- Section of Fetal Therapy board member of the Polish Society of Gynecologists and Obstetricians;
- international e-associate of the American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine;
- member of the International Prenatal Screening Group.
- 2010- January 2019 member of Polish Ultrasound Society; 2014-Jannuary 2019- Head of Section dedicated to Obstetrics, Gynecology and Prenatal Diagnostics at the Polish Ultrasound Society.
- ultrasound in gynecology and obstetrics;
- ultrasound-guided procedures – chorionic villus sampling, amniocentesis, fetal blood sampling, intrauterine transfusions, fetal stenting: of the urinary bladder and other fetal body cavities;
- biopsies and drainages under the ultrasound guidance;
- an analysis of screening performance for trisomy 21, trisomy 18, and monosomy X in a fetus using ultrasound in the late first trimester of pregnancy without the use of serum biomarkers supported by the tests of high sensitivity NIPT;
- fetal imaging with particular focus on an early fetal anatomy screening and an early fetal heart evaluation in the late first trimester;
- applying 3D ultrasound in fetal examination and gynecology, mainly in scope of malignant tumors of the female reproductive system;
- developing 3D printed models of the normal and abnormal fetal heart on the basis of volumetric images of the fetal heart using the Spatial and Temporal Image Correlation (STIC) technique;
- education in the field of a practical application of ultrasound in prenatal diagnosis, with particular focus on an early fetal anomaly scan and early fetal echocardiography in the first trimester;
- modern ultrasound imaging techniques;
- the use of ultrasound in detecting and assessing malignant tumors of the female reproductive system.